Saturday, March 19, 2011

The Pot of Basil

I finished it this morning:


A bit of a sad one that started as a thumbnail sketch related to a poem, Her Posthumous Life, about Fanny, and looking at illustrations and paintings of Isabella and the Pot of Basil, and family talk about a relative who I remembered dimly as being dressed in beatnik (now there's a word) black, and family farewells .... and all the while in the background there was the dreadful rolling news of tragedy in Japan (hence the oriental-looking pot) ....
It's all in there.
For me it is, anyway.

3 comments:

  1. I just did some research (isn't Google wonderful!) on the poem and the painting. What amazing stories! The tragedy in Japan is so huge it's hard to get our heads around it. Your picture says it all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Google is indeed wonderful. But a terrible time stealer. I love that poem, very atmospheric and sort of unpindownable. I like unpindownable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. www.nadiasenyczak.beNovember 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM

    Amanda is eveything you make collage? Your work is wonderful, lovely! I will order you cards one of these days. Thanks for all the beauty!

    ReplyDelete